Home

Recently, a friend was going through a really hard time and, at a loss of what else to do, I sang him lullabies to comfort him.  I never sing for people any more, and I barely sing for myself.  I used to sing every day, almost every minute of every day, and looking back I'm not sure how or why or when I stopped.  But my friend needed some comfort, and in that moment, a song was what I had to give.  Lullabies and love.  And that got me thinking about a time when someone did the same for me.  Many years ago, in college, when I was having a really hard time, my roommate, Kaitie, sang me to sleep for more nights than I care to admit.  She was tender and patient and giving with me, and despite the sadness of that time, that is one of my favorite memories of college.
  
Kaitie is incredibly gifted and has a beautiful voice, and she practically explodes with creative energy.  The last time I publicly sang for people, (while sober and not doing karaoke) it was because Kaitie and her boyfriend wrote a show and badgered me and a bunch of our friends into being in it.  Thinking about all that reminded me of one of the songs from that show, a song about loss; about death, about mourning the end of a relationship, about losing a part of yourself and finding some peace in saying goodbye.

I am sharing the song almost as a lullaby to myself, I think.  A song from the past me to the present one, to lull me to sleep and comfort me.  

(note, the first verse is all Kaitie, then we sing a duet for a verse, then our friend Emma joins in for the last verse.  Also, this is a pretty amateur recording accomplished on dorm room recording equipment in 2007)




0 comments:

Post a Comment