Fitocracy

So I joined this site called Fitocracy, which is a new social networking/fitness/game thing.  Basically, you put in all your workouts and it gives you points for doing each exercise.  If you get enough points, then you level up!  Neat!  And it gives you quests!  The quests are exercises you've never done before or distances/quantities you've never done before, and in addition to the activity points, you get bonus points for the quest.  And you can follow people, and they follow you, and you can give each props and comment on workouts and whatnot.  Apparently there are also "achievements" you can unlock, but I haven't unlocked any yet.  I am totally in love with this thing.

As a result of the quests, I am doing all kinds of things I would not normally do.  Sometimes that's good; a few extra sit-ups before bed to get the points, or a new exercise at the gym to broaden my workouts a bit.  But sometimes it's a pain.  There is a reason I don't do the barbell bench press.  I hate it.  And yet, by awarding me arbitrary and non-redeemable points for doing it, this website has induced me to go do barbell bench press.  Is that crazy or what?  Bench press.  And barbell quats.  Last week, it was lat pulls.

But, even though I'm a little weirded out by the psychology of this... that I'll do random exercises for illusory internet "points"... I totally love the site.  I love the points, the levels, etc.  Unfortunately, most of my Fitocracy friends are not really playing, so I don't have a very big network, and I would like to share the love.  I have 9 Fitocracy invites left if anyone else wants one!

1 comments:

Hugo said...

Hi Alice,
was wondering if you still have invites left. If so, can you please send me one ?

I really want to try this thing out.
If possible send it hugo.m.palma at gmail.com

Thanks.

Post a Comment