Design

In the last week or so I have become obsessed with Pinterest, and I have spent oodles of time collecting my favorite things from the internet--geekery, kitten photos, fashion, inspiration, memes, food--and pinning them to my virtual pinboard.  It is a very very simple and quick creative outlet, a way to assemble the things that are, for whatever reason,  you, and appreciate them, show them off or keep them for future reference.  I found right away that my pinterest interests were not necessarily what I expected they'd be.  People who know me probable assume that I have a pinboard full of books, but actually, I don't.  I have plenty of books in my house, in my life, in my purse...everywhere.  What I found was that I was really having fun collecting fashion and pretty things for the house.  I have never thought of myself as a fashionable or stylish person, in part because I never bothered much to be very put-together, but I do have a style and I think that I should spend more time expressing it.

Together with that revelation was the realization that there are lots of projects I'd like to do that i have been putting off for years, things that would make my house more comfortable or liveable or just more designed.  I spent a fair amount of time and energy arranging things when we moved in, but once we'd been here for a few months I just ... stopped.  And the upstairs never really got done.  The spare room is a crazy dysfunctional hodgepodge of mismatched furniture and  piles of stuff, and the bedroom is only a little bit better.  I am going to try to harness this newfound creativity and do some crafty projects, some rearranging and some refinishing. I need to stop thinking of our home as a temporary place that doesn't have to work very well.  We live here, after all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment