Weekend update

On Friday night, I went to see David Sedaris give a reading. That man is one of the funniest and most insane humans in existence.  He's also profoundly insightful and can be kind of disturbing as a result.  His accounts of living in France and trying to communicate in French as he was learning it are a must-read for anyone who has ever tried to live abroad.  The reading was so funny I was howling and stamping my foot and gasping for air.

Afterward, rather than contend with the ridiculous number of people trying to get into and out of the parking garage near the theater, we walked to a fancy restaurant for dessert and drinks--- I had a totally fantastic dark chocolate pot de creme with fleur de sel, and a drink that was autumn in a glass: pear brandy, champagne, orange curacao and honey water.  Yummmm.  It was very fancy and a nice departure from our usual suburban dates.

And it was a total departure from the rest of the weekend, which we spent slightly soggy and chilly out in the woods.  Winter camping is pretty darn fun, I have to say.  I have to admit, I was skeptical.  But I am happy to report that it didn't rain very hard except while we were sleeping, and I wasn't too cold most of the time.  The leaves were beautiful colors and it was a gorgeous time to be outside.  We had a roaring fire going and we huddled around it for hours, staring at the coals and warming our feet.  We ate grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch, with woodsmoke and fall air as the only spice.  Then we wrapped chicken and veggies in foil packets and roasted them in the coals for dinner.  Yummy.  I stayed up late late reading a book with a flashlight in the tent, just like I used to when I was a kid.  I finished my book and slept like a rock, then got up this morning to find my husband making tea and breakfast over the camp stove.

Ahhhh.

It's good to be home and warm and clean and dry, but I'm glad we went.

0 comments:

Post a Comment