Fancy Apple Custard Tart

I got it into my head last night to bake, and so bake I did.  I made an apple custard tart based on this recipe,  but I modified it to be prettier.  I followed the recipe for the crust and the custard, but instead of slicing the apples and pre-cooking them, like the recipe recommends, I peeled them, carefully sliced them into long, very thin strips, and then curled the strips into rose shapes.  I assembled the raw "roses" in the tart shell, poured the custard over the top, and the sprinkled powdered sugar and cinnamon over the whole thing.  I baked it for about 25 minutes, and the apples got plenty cooked that way.  Here's the step-by-step of the apple part:


First I peeled the apples and then used a peeler and a cheese slicer to cut long thin strips off the peeled fruit. Then I fashioned the roses by taking a strip of apple and curling it around itself, adding more strips around the edge of the roll like petals.







Then I arranged each apple rose into the tart shell, starting around the edge so that the edge of the tart shell held the end edge of the rose "closed" so it wouldn't pop open and fall apart.  Then I added more roses so they were each holding each other up.  





Then I filled in the middle of the tart with more roses until they were all firmly, but not too tightly, wedged in.  Then I poured the custard over the whole thing, up to about a quarter inch from the edge of the tart shell.  Then I sprinkled powdered sugar and cinnamon over the top.



After baking, the apples were gorgeous and caramelized, so I didn't add any more glaze, but you could lightly brush a simple glaze on if you wanted.  






1 comments:

Ilan (IronWhisk Blog) said...

Looks great.. might be making this soon :D

Post a Comment