Teeth

I just chipped my tooth. AGAIN.

This is so annoying.

The backstory: I fell on my face once in college and broke off half of my right front tooth.  I couldn't find a dentist would treat me for like three days... I think this happened on a Thursday night or early Friday morning (1am-ish) and apparently dentists don't work on Fridays.  Or weekends.  So I finally found a dentist who would fix my tooth and I went in for a "temporary cap" that was supposed to hold me over until I could go home to Colorado and have my usual dentist put on a better-looking, more permanent cap.

I had that cap for five years.

Whoops!

So, finally, a few months before the wedding, I decided to get a better one.  The "temporary" fix didn't really match my other teeth and I wanted to have pretty teeth for my wedding photos.  (Important lesson here: photoshop is cheaper than dental work, and apparently much longer lasting)

I got a fancy new color-matched cap in a procedure that took over an hour and involved grinding off the old cap with what looked like a Dremel tool and then building up a new one.  It was not the most fun I've ever had. But still, I was excited to have a new tooth.

 "Yay," I thought.  "I have finally stopped procrastinating and going around with a crappy "temporary" tooth and now I am a responsible adult whose teeth are all the same color!  I am awesome."

I had my new tooth for only about three months when I chipped it... by biting my lip.  Yes. Apparently I have the hardest lips known to man.  Iron Lips.  The chip was relatively small, but I was pissed... that tooth cost a lot and took forever, and I'd had my "temp" tooth for FIVE YEARS with no problems.  Ugh.

I asked the dentist how much it would cost to fix, but apparently they can't just patch the chip, they'd have to... you guessed it... grind off the whole tooth and start over again.  Maybe I wasn't clear before, but I really really didn't like the grinding.  Also, The Husband needs $3000 in dental work, so our co-pays for all that have pretty much tapped out the dental budget.  Oh well.  It's a tiny chip.  I'll live with it.

But today, I chipped it again!  Biting my... cuticle.  Yes.  My cuticles are also rock hard.  You wish you had cuticles like these... they are ripped.  And my tooth was no match for them.

Perhaps the moral of this story is that I need to stop biting myself, or perhaps the moral of this story is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment