Running

I didn't mention it much on the blog, except my initial "hey, I might be coming down with something" post, but I was sick for about three weeks.  The cold I thought I had was actually strep throat, which I got through in a week or so with antibiotics only to spend two weeks fighting the residual congestion, coughing and exhaustion that just wouldn't die.

I finally, finally feel better, and I'm back to running.  The first runs back were rough.  I'm slow and rickety, and three to four miles is my upper limit.  I'm also back at that stage where a good run is pretty much all I can do for the day and I'm too tired afterward to just carry on like a normal person.  That's fading, and running is going to be a normal, non-exhausting part of my routine again very soon, but for now, it's a struggle.  

I'm also frantically trying to make up for lost miles on my training program, because the Rogue River Trail run I planned to do is in only two months.  Sadly, I think I'm going to have to push it back a few weeks to let my training be what it needs to be and have time to get stronger again.  So, it looks like I'm going to have to take some time off work for the trip, because the weekend options are all too early.  I'm hesitant to take the time off, but I'm going to spend March working ahead in my case load and trying to create a cushion for myself so I can take a week in June for the run and a week in July for my family's reunion.  

Still, I think it'll be worth it.  I really want to do this trip, and my feet are starting to get itchy for miles again.  If I can stay healthy and follow my training plan, I should be able to do it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment