Best Mac and Cheese

I tried a new Mac and Cheese recipe today, which was risky because we had company for dinner and I generally don't like to experiment on guests in the kitchen (that is what my secret basement lab is for).  But, this recipe sounded easy and got rave reviews, so I went for it.

Um, wowza.

This is a totally different thing from the other mac and cheese recipes I've made.  Those all basically involve cooking and draining pasta, then making the sauce from a roux, milk and shredded cheese, then combining the pasta and sauce and baking.  This is a one-pot, no draining concoction that is as creamy as any restaurant mac and cheese I've ever had.  It's so thick and rich that a small helping feels like a decadent feast.  It is, in a nutshell, my new mac and cheese.

The full recipe I used for inspiration is here: http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/cheese/stove-top-one-pot-macaroni-cheese-recipe/

However, as usual, I made some changes.

My version is as follows.

Alice's Magical One-pot Cheesy Noodles of Joy


Nouns-
4 cups milk (I used 1%)
1 lb pasta (I used orecchiette, and they stuck together a bit.  Macaroni or cavatappi would probably be awesome)
2 cups shredded cheese or more if you feel like it (I used half gruyere, half sharp white cheddar)
6 slices turkey bacon, chopped
2 good-sized crowns of broccoli, cut into florets
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp paprika

Optional-
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp butter


Verbs-
In a medium to large pan, brown the bacon, then remove the bacon and reserve it.  Steam the broccoli florets in the microwave and reserve those.  Then, in the saucepan on the stove, combine the noodles, spices and milk.  (I know!  Weird!  Trust me.  I was distracted by a cute baby and didn't take photos of this on the stovetop, but take my word for it, this is a thing that works.  Fo' reals)  Bring the milk up to a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring to separate the pasta.  Gently (gently!) simmer the milk and pasta over medium low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring to be sure that milk doesn't scald on the bottom, the noodles don't stick together, and nothing curdles or boils.  The mixture will thicken on its own and take on a creamy consistency.  If it gets too thick, add a little more milk.  When the pasta is tender, turn to low heat and stir in the cheese, bacon and broccoli, stirring to combine.  Remove from heat.  If you want, in another pan, gently fry the panko in the butter until brown and fragrant.  Sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese.  Eat.  Marvel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment