Sour cream pancakes!

I woke up this morning HUNGRY, and I decided to make a yummy weekend morning breakfast for myself and The Husband.  I was rooting around in the fridge and realized we had a bunch of leftover sour cream that wouldn't be used in this week's meal plan, so I decided to search for sour cream pancake recipes.  Thankfully, I found a great one.  These are the fluffiest pancakes ever!  So fluffy!

I used the Smitten Kitchen recipe found here.

There is very little flour in this recipe compared with traditional pancake recipes, but don't worry.  It all works out!

I won't retype the whole recipe, because the Smitten Kitchen instructions are clear and for once I didn't make any changes.  Here's the basic process, though, featuring my Big Bowl of Self Esteem and less amazing photography.

This recipe, sadly, does require two bowls.  One for the dry ingredients plus the sour cream, and one for whisking the eggs and vanilla.  Those two mixtures will look something like this:

Whisked Eggs with Vanilla- my whisk is shaped like a squid, but that is optional.
Dry Ingredients folded into Sour Cream.

Combining those two elements is difficult.  They really don't want to go together, and it's important not to overmix.  I tried folding them in, but that was resulting in big globs of the sour cream mixture swimming in a soup of eggs, so I ended up stirring very quickly for about 10 strokes just to get them combined, and then stopping.  The mixture doesn't need to be completely uniform.



Then I scooped the batter onto my buttered griddle, and at first, the dollops of batter from my 1/4 cup scoop looked sad and small.


We are going to be such wee little pancakes!


But then, a minute or so before they were ready to flip, the pancakes expanded and fluffed up hugely!  Once flipped, they were big, golden and perfect.


We ate them with butter and a variety of yummy pancake toppings.  We had some pear butter as a Christmas gift from some friends, some homemade plum syrup from my mom, some apple butter I made this winter, and of course some real maple syrup.  Perfect way to start the day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment