College Food! Cabbage Salad

Last week's meal plan featured a recipe I made all the time in college, and it got me thinking about the other things I made then.  I did a lot more home cooking than most college students; in fact I cooked for 2-8 people a couple of times a week.  I didn't really know what I was doing, but that didn't stop me from making huge amounts of food for my friends all the time.  I made all kinds of crazy things, like huge batches of fry bread that I'd serve with honey and have people over to eat.  I am trying to find where I put all the recipes I loved in college, and I'll post them as I remember or find them.  In the mean times, here is one my favorite things that I made then:

College Cabbage Salad:
Nouns-
1 medium green cabbage or half green half red
1 bunch scallions
1 package of ramen noodles, either oriental or chicken flavor
3 tbsp white vinegar (use rice vinegar if you are fancy)
2 tbsp olive or sesame oil
1 tbsp honey or sugar
1 orange, zested and juiced
a few shakes of sesame seeds

Verbs-
Slaw the cabbage and put in a big bowl.  (Is slaw a verb?  I don't know.  Slice your cabbage into long skinny strips like you would for a good slaw) Chop the scallions and add them to the cabbage.  Remove the seasoning packet from the ramen and set aside.  Crush the dry noodles into small pieces and sprinkle over the cabbage.  In a separate dish, whisk the oil, vinegar, seasoning mix from the ramen, and honey together, with the zest and juice of the orange.  Pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss to thoroughly coat.  Top with sesame seeds.  This whole dish costs about $3 to make.  Yumm!


0 comments:

Post a Comment