Why I do what I do

This is an essay about love.  It is an essay about how some Christians treat gays, but it is a lot more than that.  It is an essay about love and hate, and what they really mean.

You should read it.

You should read it even if you don't think of yourself as hateful, as a homophobe, a snob, a racist ... you should read it even if you are not a religious person or a person of faith.

You should read it, because despite its flaws and oversimplifications, it boldly states a truth that we don't hear often enough, the truth that we justify treating other people with disdain, with hate, or with contempt by pointing to their deficiencies, their differences or their "sins", but that really, our hate and disdain come from ego and a need to feel superior, because deficiencies, differences and sins have absolutely nothing to do with love.  We can love anyone, we just choose not to.  And we do that to make ourselves feel better.

It was a good reminder for me, because I make my living standing up for people who have done contemptible things, for people who were negligent, or stupid, or violent or harmful.  For people who suffer from addiction, from mental illness, and from poverty.  And sometimes, for some good people who got a raw deal out of an imperfect system.  It's hard work, and frustrating, and thankless.  But I am reminded that it is good work.  And I am very very glad, in this moment, that that is what I do for living.


0 comments:

Post a Comment