Half Marathon Training Update

This week we set out to do a 12 mile run, but after 11 miles, I just couldn't run anymore.  My hips were aching, my knees hurt and I was so so so tired.  So we walked the last mile, and I feel... defeated.

I have learned an important lesson, though, and one I hope it's not too late to apply to this race: DO NOT SKIP YOUR SHORT RUNS.

Running 3 miles a day or so, 3-4 times per week, is essential.  Looking back at my training log, the long runs that went well, where we upped our pace, where I felt good, those were all at the end of a week where I'd put the miles in and trained consistently.  In recent weeks, I've gotten lazy during the week and let myself skip some short runs, and man, that has been brutal on the long runs each weekend.  So, lesson learned.

I've got two weeks left, and I'm going to be super diligent about the short runs this week, put in a solid 8 miles this weekend, and then taper down to race day on April 3.

In other news, I went to Road Runner Sports today and did their Shoe Dog shoe finder.  I was really impressed and I really think I got a great pair of shoes and lots of great information.  Here's hoping that the shoes work out well.  I've only put 250 miles on my last pair, but I am starting to feel every stride in my shins, and that's really not good.  Bonus: my new shoes are not pink, which was more of a challenge than one might think.  Why are so many women's running shoes white and pink?  Why?

0 comments:

Post a Comment