Aunt Esther's Lemon Cake

Today while out apple picking I learned that I had totally forgotten my friend Jared's birthday, which is tomorrow.  Whoops!  Happy Birthday, Jared!  I have a history of forgetting birthdays, including a very memorable time I thought my friend Miriam's birthday was actually three days later than it is and called her on that day to wish her all the happiness in the world, only to discover that I'd talked to her on her actual birthday earlier in the week and of course failed to say anything about it then, like the doofus that I am.  I try very hard to make it up to people when I inevitably forget their birthdays, which means that for tomorrow, I'm bringing out the big guns:

Aunt Esther's Lemon Cake- 
Because nothing says "I"m sorry for forgetting your birthday" like the most delicious lemony-tart confection ever created by humankind.
The cake:
Nouns-
3 cups sifted flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
Finely grated lemon rind- 2 lemons worth

Verbs-
Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a bundt pan (I mean GREASE IT). Sift together the dry ingredients.  Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat for 2-3 minutes.  Beat the eggs in to the butter/sugar mixture one by one.  Add the dry ingredients and milk in stages to the butter mixture.  Stir in the lemon rind.   Pour into a well-greased bundt pan and bake for 1 hour.  Let stand 15 minutes, then invert onto a plate.

The Glaze:
Nouns-
1/3 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
Stir juice and sugar together over low heat until sugar is dissolved.  The poke holes all over the cake with a skewer and brush the glaze over the cake.  Let stand several hours before eating.  (No really; normally that would be a joke, but in this case, the cake really is better after it sits and I"m not just mocking you with delicious untouchable cake)

0 comments:

Post a Comment