Aunt Esther's Rum Cake

I could write odes to Aunt Esther's rum cake.  It is delicious.  It compares only to Aunt Esther's lemon cake and Aunt Esther's chocolate mousse in its deliciosity.  Have I mentioned that I really miss living close to my Aunt Esther?  I really really miss it.

mmmmmmmmmm.


Anyway, for my birthday I usually make a version of Aunt Esther's Rum Cake, but instead of Rum, I use Irish Cream.  Because, you know, St. Patrick's Day and all that.  Yes, my birthday is on St. Patrick's Day!  Whee!





Here's the cake:

Nouns-
For the cake---
4 eggs
1 box yellow cake mix
1 package vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Irish Cream (or Rum)
baking spray with flour- lots!
1 fancy bundt pan
chopped pecans or walnuts

For the glaze (yes, there's glaze!!)---
1 stick of butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup Irish Cream (Or Rum!)

Verbs:
Preheat oven to 325.  Spray the crap out of your bundt pan with the baking spray.  Every little nook and cranny should be coated in baking spray.  Then, pour about a half cup of chopped pecans in the bottom of the bundt pan.  Mix the remaining cake ingredients for 2-3 minutes until a thick, smooth batter forms.  Pour the batter into the pan.  Bake for 45-55 minutes.  Top of cake will be dark brown... don't worry!  The inside is yellow, moist and delicious.

Then, boil the first three glaze ingredients together for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the Irish cream (Or Rum!).  Then, invert the cake onto a plate, and poke holes all over it with a toothpick or skewer.  Then, brush the glaze over the cake until it is all absorbed.  This is even better the next day!







0 comments:

Post a Comment